Hynes teachers implement the Common Core State Standards for all grades. The rigor of Common Core prepares students to be college or career ready. The Early Childhood program implements developmentally appropriate practices. According to the 2015 state testing results, Hynes Charter School is the #1 non-selective admissions public elementary school authorized by the Orleans Parish School Board.
The following programs and services are provided at Hynes:
- Success for All– We use SFA, which is a research-based and research-proven literacy program developed at Johns Hopkins. Students are assessed quarterly and placed in their instructional reading level. The program incorporates the five pillars of reading: phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, comprehension, and fluency. Teachers facilitate student learning through student goal setting and incorporation of cooperative learning strategies.
- Project Lead the Way– Grades K-5 implement PLTW Launch units during their science instruction. For example, these include units on light and sound, grids and games, programming patterns, input/output, and infection detection. Grades 6-8 are enrolled in PLTW Gateway electives including design and modeling, automation and robotics, coding, and computer science. PLTW lessons and materials follow the National Science Standards.
- French Immersion– Students enrolled in immersion are taught math, science, social studies and French grammar in the target language. They are also enrolled in English/Language Arts and reading. The content follows the Louisiana State Standards. Instructional staff are native-speaking, French certified teachers.
- KIDsmART– This partnership has two components. Students have the opportunity to enroll in the after school enrichment program in visual arts, theater, or dance. The school day program is a professional development, arts-integration initiative. An artist-in-residence collaborates with Hynes classroom teachers to integrate art into their regular core content.
- Playworks– This partnership brings the power of inclusive play to develop our students’ social-emotional health. Playworks coaches and our staff have transformed recess time at our school to create many games and activities from which students can choose to play. The Junior Coach Leadership Program is for 4th and 5th graders to develop skills to lead games and assist their peers to mediate conflict.
- PBiS and Olweus Bully Prevention Program– School-wide structures, expectations, interventions, and rewards promote a positive climate to improve academic outcomes. PBiS is an evidence-based, data-driven framework to increase school safety and promote a positive climate.
- Journeys to Careers– This is a career awareness course for middle school.
- Department of Defense STARBASE– 5th graders explore STEM concepts at Jackson Barracks for a 5-day session off campus.
- Disney Youth Education Series Program at Walt Disney World– 8th graders take a trip to mark the end of their time at Hynes and to enrich student leadership skills and career choices.
- We offer classes in special education, gifted and talented, talented in visual arts and theater, and speech.
- In addition to our core instructional staff, Hynes employs two Physical Education teachers, two music teachers, a computer teacher, a librarian, an interventionist, and assistants in PreK-1st grade classes. We also employ full-time staff for social work and nursing services.