Hynes School, located at 990 Harrison Avenue, opened on September 9, 1952, and initial accreditation was received through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1969. Hynes was recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence in 1988 by the United States Department of Education.
Mr. Hynes (1872-1936) was a native New Orleanian. He earned his B.B. degree in engineering and later taught mathematics in the New Orleans high schools. His reputation influenced his appointment as Louisiana’s first Attendance Officer. He was later named Director of Night School and in 1924, was promoted to Superintendent of High Schools. A dedicated educator, Mr. Hynes received many honors, including life membership in the National Association of Superintendents.
School colors: green and white
Mascot: Husky; our Husky’s name is Snowball.
Annual school yearbook: “Hynes Husky Yearbook”.
School literary publication: “Kaleidoscope”.
On August 29, 2005, Hynes School was devastated by Hurricane Katrina floodwaters.
Consequently, the school was closed for the remainder of the 2005-06 school year. The Hynes spirit and determination lived on, however, and in March 2006, the school was granted a Type 3 Charter by the Orleans Parish School Board. The school proudly forged a permanent working relationship with the University of New Orleans.